Novel Coronavirus and the Congress
At this moment the WHO and the Belgium Health Authorities do not consider the situation regarding the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) a public health emergency in Belgium. There is no negative travel advice to visit Belgium and therefore the European Congress on Head and Neck Oncology (ECHNO 2020) will proceed as scheduled.
For the latest updates, you can check the situation reports by the World Health Organisation.
The venue and the organization have taken precautions to reduce the general risk of transmission of acute respiratory infections and hand sanitisers will be made available for delegates.
General recommendations and advice for the public:
The World Health Organisation has issued the following general advice to reduce the risk of transmission:
- Avoiding close contact with people suffering from acute respiratory infections.
- Frequent hand-washing, especially after direct contact with ill people or their environment.
- Avoiding unprotected contact with farm or wild animals.
- People with symptoms of acute respiratory infection should practice cough etiquette (maintain distance, cover coughs and sneezes with disposable tissues or clothing, and wash hands).
- Within health care facilities, enhance standard infection prevention and control practices in hospitals, especially in emergency departments.
WHO does not recommend any specific health measures for travelers. In case of symptoms suggestive of respiratory illness either during or after travel, travelers are encouraged to seek medical attention and share their travel history with their health care provider.
- Information page of the Belgium Government
- Frequently Asked Question
- Information poster
- World Health Organisation – Coronavirus disease outbreak.
A comprehensive overview of travel advice, general recommendations, Q&A and up-to-date situation reports.
- The EU’s European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control.
- Suggested non-pharmaceutical countermeasures to minimize the spread of the disease. Part of a wider selection of guidelines on the coronavirus.